We cook BBQ contest pretty much professionally. Our year revolves around 4 seasons, the off-BBQ season, the rainy BBQ season, the hotter than heck BBQ season, and the fall BBQ season. When you are this into something, it doesn't even occur to you to think about why you are doing something- you just are. However, occasionally we encounter a non-BBQ-er (the dreaded NB"S), and we have to explain not only what we do but why. So, just in case you feel the need to justify your addiction to a NB at somepoint (or even a spouse (the much, much more dreaded Peeved Off Spouse or POS!) here is a list of ready made reasons that you simply MUST purchase charcoal by the pallet or spend $4000 on a cooker.
10. I have an addiction, and the first step is admitting you have an addiction. There is no second step.
9. My blown-out knee prevented me earning millions as a professional (insert sport here) player.
8. It's not like we're cooking Bambi.
7. If I don't do this, someone else will. How would you feel then!
6. Pigs are running amok through farmland, somebody has to step up and stop it. I am that person.
5. Survival skills.
4. You should really come help- it's fun and we need a dishwasher.
3. College fund? It's sitting right there on that 20' BBQ trailer baby!
2. I could be golfing, and you see where that got Tiger Woods.
And the Number one reason I BBQ is:
1. Because if the World ends, you can't eat Bowling Balls.